A Temple related to
the Koka One Hundred-Member Gun Squad

Yuisho-ji Temple
Yuisho-ji Temple (Utsuta, Minakuchi-cho)

Koka One-Hundred-Member Gun Squad, referred to as Koka Hyakunin-gumi, were Tokugawa Shogunate’s forces who lived in Edo (present-day Tokyo) to guard the Ote San-no-mon Gate of Edo-jo Castle. The ancestors of Koka Hyakunin-gumi were Koka clans who fought on the side of Tokugawa forces at Fushimi-jo Castle and lost many of its warriors during the preceding battles of the Sekigahara Battle in 1600.
Yamanaka Fukunaga, a member of the Hyakunin-gumi, visited Yuisho-ji Temple in 1849 to hold a memorial service for his ancestors. He built tombstones for the ten Yamanaka warriors and placed ancestral tablets in the temple. Yuisho-ji Temple is also the Yamanaka family temple where tombstones belonging to the Yamanaka ancestors, including that of Yamanaka Toshiyoshi are enshrined.
The Koka Hyakunin-gumi cherished their roots even through the generations and changes in their location of residence. The gravestones and ancestral tablets are carefully protected to this day, and accomplishments of Koka warriors will be passed on to following generations.

Go back to Remnants of ninja are still present today
Go back to PageTop